Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Last Blazers Post for a While

Alright, I was sitting down to drop a short draft preview and I saw something so wrong, so incongruous with my world view I had to mention it here. I just saw Bill O'Reilly, avowed conservative arguing for more regulation of a certain business. I'm still not sure what to say.

Anyway, draft day is tomorrow, and the 3rd annual pritch-slapping of the NBA has already begun. In case you haven't heard, the Blazers bought the 27th pick from New Orleans for cash consideration. This is the same kind of move that netted Portland the rights to supposed sensation Rudy Fernandez. I have a had few comments asking what I would like to see Portland do, and what I think is likely. Well, for all my thoughts are worth, here you go:

I still see Pritchard trying to move the 13th pick. I really don't see there being a player available that will be ready to step in and contribute in the way Portland really needs. Moreover, given the working plan (AKA the Cap-Space for 2009-10 Plan), Portland likely needs to move one or more of Frye, J Jack, and Webster. (For more detail see this site.) Based on that I think Pritchard is most likely to either trade up from 13, or trade for a player that fits Portland's needs.

What I would like to see: Of the three players mentioned I would prefer to see them keep Webster. I think at worst he is a legit 3-point threat that can open the floor a-la James Jones or Kyle Korver. If he continues to develop to his true potential, his ceiling is much much higher. That isn't to say I don't like Jack or Frye, I just think Webster is the more rare of the commodities. I am not as convinced as some that SF is a big need for Portland. I think Outlaw and Webster both have big potential at the 3. I am much more convinced that we need an improvement at the point. So, I guess I'm looking for Pritchard to try and pick up a quality point, but one that is comfortable without the ball. A good shooter, and a good defender with a good handle under pressure.

Other then that, given Pritchard's general MO of stocking talent, I expect to see a lot of BPA tommorrow. (And at least 2 more trades... but I am not plugged in enough to really speculate with who/for who.) I do like Heinrich a lot, but I am not a fan of contract, and that rumor seems to have died out.

4 comments:

Rip Tatermen said...

My prediction: Lopez continues to not get picked despite being at the top of Bilas' little list, because his mom is crazy. My further prediction: Lopez is the Morrison of this draft.

Beau said...

Can he really be the Morrison if he is picked out of the top 10? I suppose if he sucks enough (and he probably does...) it works.

At this point, with Jones having opted out, and the 3 respectable points off the board I am guessing Portland goes for Rush.

Rip Tatermen said...

Nooo, McBob! Well, this is interesting. Would Ike play the 3? Will we trade him? Will we trade Channing (kinda my expectation)? Given that we still have 4 picks to go, I'm sure there's tons more crazy crap in the works. I feel really bad for that dude who didn't get picked, with the maybe bad kidneys or whatever.

True, Morrison got picked higher; I guess I just think he won't pan out in a similar lack-of-maturity way. Although after hearing them Brook seems a few eggs short of a dozen, and Robin apparently spends his time making fun of his simpleton twin. Bizarre.

Rip Tatermen said...

Unbelievable. Did you see Barrett's post? They were gunning for him the whole time. And the stuff on Blazer's Edge about how we snaked Bayless from the Kings and Batum from the Spurs, and that's probably why the Kings made such a weird pick... Jesus. As someone pointed out, in three years he's drafted Oden, Aldridge, Fernandez, Roy and Bayless, which could very well be our future playoff contender starting five. He traded all five of the players we picked! And got 3 2nd round picks for some Turkish dude! I mean, goddamn. Can you imagine what it's like to be stuck with Kevin McHale? Oh man. I don't know much about Bayless, but if everything worked out as KP wanted it to, then I'm happy.