Saturday, July 5, 2008

Evil

It wasn't my idea. I want that on the record at the start. But there is no denying it now. No stopping it. Evil has come to roost in my house again and I am powerless to expel it. It started when Blizzard announced Diablo III. I started to prepare myself. I knew that in 12-18 months I would be fighting that old addiction again. What I didn't expect, what I couldn't anticipate, was Sam diving into Diablo II. I though I had time to prepare, to fortify against the attack. I was wrong. The old pull is still strong. I find myself thinking about barbarian builds. I am saved only by the inability of this laptop to install the game. I have never been more thankful that my CD drive is finicky and rarely works.

4 comments:

Sydney said...

Pete's deep in DII's thrall as well. And I would be too, but we only have one install code for our three expansion discs. Question: how do you find the code once your brother has lost his envelope? No, wait, maybe don't answer that. (Please answer that. ...I'm so weak!)

Beau said...

(Un) lucky for you, I am not sure how to do that. I know where to find no disc hacks, but you wouldn't able to play on battle.net that way. You could play a local LAN game with Pete though...

Rip Tatermen said...

It's eerie, all it took was those delicious eleven minutes of gameplay video. My ridiculous dream is that D3 will run on my Mac Mini. This would seem insanely far-fetched were it not for a few mitigating factors:
1. Blizzard has a history of striving to serve as wide a field of users as possible, as with WoW especially, instead of aiming for cutting edge hardware.
2. The Mini runs Age of Empires 3 shockingly well, and it's a similar view and 3D style.
3. It just has to! I needs my fix!

As for my current efforts, I started a Bowazon, but I'm not digging it too terribly. My favorite was sorceress, standing back and blasting the crap out of everyone, followed by barbarian, but none of the others have really clicked with me. The other thing is that I forgot that the real hardcore diablites make me look like a four year-old on a Big Wheel in a Grand Prix race; it's kinda disheartening to look up builds and read about people acquiring assets with their ridiculous Diablo wealth, when I have doodly-squat, and at my greatest had about 12 doodly-squats.

Eric said...

Man I hope I wasn't responsible for this. I, too, was deep in it's throes, but I've backed off some of late. I have a level 71 Sorceress, though. And I just keep thinking maybe a little bit more and I'll get that armor or staff I really need. I know I won't be able to get DIII, or it will be the end of me.