Friday, March 30, 2007

Holy Politicos Batman!

Another Post! I should warn you up front, this one leans into some political realms.

Issue 1: What is my take on the whole US Attorney Firing issue?

Well, this is a tricky issue really. Most of the time, I am not a big fan of GW. It would be safe to say I have disagreed with him from time to time. And to some extent I do believe that a prosecutor needs to be left to do his/her job with a good deal of autonomy. That said, these positions are not front line attorneys. They are political appointments, and although I haven't engaged in any serious legal research (i.e. there could be a statute or case saying I am wrong on this) I do believe the top officer in each office serves at the pleasure of the President.

Now let me be clear. I don't mean your average US Attorney. I am talking about the US Attorney appointed to each District. The average US Attorney is a civil servant and should be protected from political house cleanings like any other government employee. But the US Attorney is a different beast. Not quite as high as the Attorney General clearly, or a member of the cabinet, but certainly closer to a cabinet member then some entry level trial attorney. And as such, I can see the importance of those people toeing the line on certain key policy issues. The President is the head of the Executive Branch. His job is to execute and prosecute the laws of the US (among other jobs obviously). It is therefore important that those he have confidence and trust with those people he chooses to act for him.

So, I think, had the President and AG Gonzales come out and clearly stated that they no longer felt the US Attorneys that had been fired fit in with the administration's goals and policies; and if they had stated clearly that it was a political decision well within the scope of the President's power there wouldn't be a controversy. But as is all too often the case this administration felt the need to hide the ball. They didn't want to take whatever political fallout there may have been from such a statement and they all started lying. That is really where the problem comes in, with one exception. That exception being the US Attorney that was pretty clearly fired for failing to pursue charges of voter fraud. It is paramount to our system that decisions of that nature be left to the discretion of the US Attorney in charge. Now wait, I know, your saying Beau! Your contradicting yourself.

I disagree. I think there is a clear difference between dismissing an appointee because you no longer believe that your policies are being carried out effectively, and dismissing an appointee because that person wouldn't pursue charges that were thin at best. Actual charging, prosecuting and plea bargain decisions should remain in the discretion of the acting attorney (barring gross misconduct).

So thats how I see it. For the most part its a tempest in a teapot, and it would have blown itself out had the administration not been so terminally dumb. But they are...

Issue 2: Where can I buy that MC Rove Album?

Ok... This isn't so much an "issue" as me wanting to drop a link. I must warn you: This clip may cause bleeding of the ears and eyes. There have been reports of seizures. Some have claimed that it may single handedly destroy the hip-hop culture. Some have speculated only Satan the Dark Lord himself could have created it in attempt to destroy rap. At best it makes you wonder how cool rap can be anymore. Watch it at your own risk...

Issue 3: Best Republican Candidate for 2008?

Disregarding any wagers, bets or gambles I may have made regarding the outcomes of the upcoming primaries,(Paul: I can't even remember who I took on the Demo side... but I do recall that as long as Rudy doesn't snag the RNC Nomination I can do no worse than break even) I have to say this: I really hope Fred Thompson runs, and wins the Republican Nomination. Hell I might even vote for him in the general. Now, I don't know his politics. But I know 2 things:

1) He would have the greatest career arc ever: Actor that played sleazy politicians => Sleazy politician => actor that played sleazy DA of NY (and really he has done quite well at filling in for Adam Schiff...) => Sleazy President. All that would be left would be to leave the White House and actually start taking acting jobs playing the President...

2) Can you say hottest 1st lady ever! (No, she isn't that hot... but still not too shabby)

Alright folks, thats all the news thats fit to print for now. I am still planning a post breaking down the changes in the Ultimate Rules (v.10 to v. 11) Edge of your seat stuff! Until then, you know where to find me.

2 comments:

Seph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seph said...

I still haven't watched all of the MC Rove clip, because I'm just too scared. I did hear a very brief clip of it, though. Sounded like the Cookie Monster rapping. It was terrifying.