Thursday, July 19, 2007

Past Nastification

This post doesn't actually deal with any past nastifications... mine or any one else. I was just watching an old episode of Futurama, and I love that phrase.


So, a little news. I closed on the house yesterday. So I am now the proud owner of a run down 4 bedroom house on the South Slope of Astoria. The downside to this whole thing is I have to cancel the weekend I was planning on spending in Portland for my birthday. Ah well, such is life. The upside is, I should get some decent blog material out of the deal.

I know I mentioned last time that I was thinking about a post about work, it hasn't happened yet (obviously). I just haven't felt much like writing when I get home lately. Mostly I was thinking about how it felt different to sentence a person that was still professing their innocence then someone that has admitted their guilt (or at least stops contesting it). Early last week was the sentencing of the first defendant I have convicted at a trial (other then traffic violations). Heading into it, I really wasn't sure how I would feel. Obviously I believed that he was guilty, but to have him continue to profess his innocence was weird. On one hand it seemed quite clear that he was lying. But going in, I didn't know if the soft side of me (or less cynical side) wouldn't feel a little bad for him. I know I still have a soft side (I tend to be a little soft when it comes to making plea deals), but I really didn't feel had for this guy. I am sure I will have more to say about things like this some other time. For now, its getting late and I need some sleep.

Take care all.

No comments: