Friday, September 7, 2007

As Requested

Rip Tatermen (does he need a new handle with the new last name?) has asked my thoughts headed into the Oregon Michigan game. And since I am sitting here on a Friday night with nothing better to do, I figured "Why not?"

Perhaps in the future I will try and get posts of this nature up on Wed. or Thu. night so you all actually have a chance to read and comment. Anyway, on the real post:

I don't think anyone really knows what to expect out of Michigan tomorrow. My best guess is that they will come out looking for redemption. They are a veteran group with a lot of talent. That said, I haven't seen anything suggesting that they have learned to stop a spread attack with a dual threat QB. If they were going to find a defensive scheme that works against the spread, you would think they would have done so over the summer.

So, based on what we saw of Oregon last week, and what I think its fair to expect of Michigan, I get the feeling this is going to be an old fashioned shootout. Neither team looks strong on the defensive side of the ball, and I think both can put up a lot of points. It could come down to who has the ball last (cliche, I know, but this one really looks like that). I am hoping that Michigan's general lack of misdirection will help the Oregon defense, but I don't think it will help that much.

Players that will have big games:

Oregon:
1) Dixon (has to be good for Oregon to have a chance)
2) Stewart (Michigan's lateral speed on defense will limit JJ's effectiveness, but the power of Stewart will be huge)
3) Chung, Ward, Thurmond III (If the DB's are strong enough, we may be able to slow the run)


Michigan:
1) Mike Hart

I don't think Henne or Manningham have big days. If they do, Oregon is in a world of hurt.

Final Prediction:

Lots of points, if Oregon can force a turnover or two, they can get pull off the win. 45-42 Oregon.

2 comments:

Rip Tatermen said...

We won, Hooray! Gotta say, it's pretty tempting to not watch it now and accept your theory as sweet reality. I have no freaking clue what's gonna happen. Yes, they're pissed and angry and embarrassed, but weren't they already from last season? I just hope it'll be closer than the Beavs' efforts, 'cause e v e r y o n e is going to be watching this game.

Rip Tatermen said...

Statue of Liberty play /
it only works once /
don't throw it away
--Wilco