Friday, November 9, 2007

Post from the Road

Back country roads change after the sun goes down. They change even more when the fog rolls in at night. I thought I knew that... my drive to Portland taught me otherwise.

I wasn't really thinking too hard when I left and I just jumped onto Highway 202 (runs into Highway 26 eventually...) and started driving. After a short stop at the Olney general store (can't make a long drive without some Mt. Dew, and Whoppers... well the Whoppers are optional) I just started making miles. And more miles. After a while I started to wonder where Jewell had gone. It wasn't until I hit Birkenfeld that I realized what had happened. In the dark and the fog I had missed the turn onto Highway 103. Worst was, once I realized my mistake it was just as fast to continue on through Vernonia as turn around.

Also on the list of things fog changes: Elk. So there I am driving along in the dark and the fog on a road I've never driven. When suddenly, out of nowhere, just off the road 4 huge bull elk show up. Now normally I am cool with elk. I look at them from a distance, watch the males ram each other now and again. But when you add dark fog and a touch of surprise to the equation, elk are downright frightening. And I don't mean dark, unfamiliar basement with strange sounds frightening, I mean like change your pants terrifying.

I did eventually make it to Portland, elks and fog be damned. And from there down to Bandon. I can firmly say this about golf here. No matter what anyone else tells you, walking up and down these hills with a groin pull is very very painful.

Through 36 holes I am not playing well, but not all that badly either. I won't bore you all with any kind of blow by blow, but I will say its been fun and the weather has been pretty good so far.

Match Update:

As you may know, my father and have been competing against each other for as long as I can remember. To those that have heard me talk about it, you know this is as deep and intense a rivalry as you are apt to find in the world.

Through 18 holes I was one up.
Through 36 holes I am three down.
36 holes left to play - Look for another update tomorrow.

No comments: